Steganography By Frequency ? – A Thought.

The idea here is to prepare a large file of say 10000 characters that
contains all of the keyboard keys that you would normally expect to
use later and send it as an innocent unsecured email. Then process
that file by means of this procedure below to record the frequencies
of occurrence of the characters of plaintext in the sent file at each
end

The collected frequencies as a set of numbers now can be used in
various ways as an encryption alphabet in the future. Scrambling and
slicing is easily done to extend the scope of the latter.

I can think of several ways of doing this – I hesitate to state any of
these here and now because of perhaps opening a can of worms that I
would later regret but they are there for the finding by anybody
taking the trouble to look.

The alphabet can be referenced secretly later in secure communications
simply by indexing it with the opening line of some paragraph (shades
of Benedict Arnold come to mind with that last).

Additional ingenuity is open to the reader to design ciphers based on
this.

Whether as steganography to send short messages or as a means of key
transport in conventional cryptography is up to the reader.

NextChar : Character ; -- plaintext
NextCharVal : Integer ; -- numerical value of the plaintext in hand

SUBTYPE Index_1 IS Positive RANGE 1 ... 10000 ;
TYPE SavedValueArray IS ARRAY (Index_1) OF Integer;
PlainTextNum : SavedValueArray;

BEGIN Procedure Character Evaluation; -- evaluates each plaintext as a
decimal value

FOR I In 1 … 15000 LOOP; -- message file length of 15000
say
Get NextChar (I); -- either read in
or key in
R := NextCharVal(I);
PlainTextNum(R) := PlainTextNum(R+1);
END LOOP;
END Procedure Character Evaluation;

FOR I IN 1 … 10000 LOOP -- displays saved frequencies of plaintext in
message
IF PlainTextNum(I) /=0 THEN
Print: PlainTextNum(I);
END IF;
END LOOP;

This is pseudo natural language code for a procedure that saves the
frequencies of the message in hand - let the reader adjust to the
personally preferred programming language etc.

- adacrypt

  • REVIEWS: Russells Reviews Volume One # 10
    ... I wouldn't say that Mitchell has "found ... Mitchell doesn't really set out to make the reader ... There are several ways to break the fourth wall. ... characters in a slasher movie talk about things ...
    (rec.arts.comics.creative)
  • Re: Putting a scene into words.
    ... that the reader would like to see, for example, a cluttered pile ... It's also part of the 'what', the viewpoint is part of that. ... describes what's causing the fear, ... characters), I like to learn more about the past (and about the ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: Narrative Summary and Transitions
    ... If terrain is a factor in what Rory and Carolyn really did here, ... reader to read in the customs zie is familiar with. ... As I said before, linking arms (between ... >the story with other different characters holding hands, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: two questions [crit]
    ... Characters who notice ... do such a viewpoint?", and not lose the meaning I had in mind. ... leave a hypothetical reader as ignorant as anyone else would be who ... The not revealing the goal doesn't bother me much, though, only how ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: A twist on OTP for an outstandingly secure channel?
    ... bits would be (assuming 8 bit characters. ... sequential plaintext data). ... Now imagine that through some miracle the ... Your scheme has a far higher ratio of padding than ...
    (sci.crypt)