Not looking like a fool

Help, I looked at WIKI but can't see the difference between a s-box vs
p-box?

I am looking at the idea of using a series of s-boxes(?) that has an
eight(8) bit input that gives a 23 bit value that is exculsive-ored
with the output of the other s-boxes(?).

There are separate s-boxes(?) for every byte position in the string to
be hashed.

The idea is the resulting hashed value will spread the hits evenly
across the hash_table.

Is this a s-box or p-box?

Yes, it may be a dumb question, but for some reason when I think about
it the answer just seems to skip off my brain.

  • Re: Some empirical results of random S-boxes
    ... The last time random or key dependent s-boxes were raised in this forum they ... linear properties of these types of random constructions. ... This approximation appears to be indifferent to the size of the s-box ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Approximating random S-box differentials
    ... The last time random or key dependent s-boxes were raised in this forum they ... linear properties of these types of random constructions. ... This approximation appears to be indifferent to the size of the s-box ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Obtaining variants of given s-boxes
    ... | Let Sbe an 8*8 s-box. ... If the multiplication is linear over Z_256 then it's semi-nonlinear over ... Which means you have to re-evaulate the sbox. ... | empirically tested these derived types of s-boxes employing ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • DES derivative with a single s-box and DDR
    ... traditional block size of 64 bits and probably an enlarged key. ... because the s-boxes usually require the a lot of chip size. ... value consisting of the x-or sum of bit 0 of s-box and bit ... is it true that there is a patent on data dependent rotations ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: sandbox scrounging
    ... S-boxes taken from DES. ... DES S-box ... S-boxes followed by an MDS has been replaced by a 32-bit SPN ... it's fairly fast and uses little memory. ...
    (sci.crypt)