Re: Learning cryptanalysis

On 20/08/2011 10:05 PM, crypticator wrote:
a reason for the bigwigs to be more humble ...

that s what i think that cryptography should be democratized => my ota
concept :
one time algo

bob and alice share n algos and a secret key

if bob want to send a message to alice :

he picks an algo in function of the date/time and the secret key ,
encrypt the message with the secret key and send the cipher text with
the date/time ....

But you have no idea of what makes an algorithm resistant to cryptanalysis so you cannot possibly know what to design to make on safe. Even you idea of a one time algorithm is flawed and I will give you the complete reason: There has been available for more than a century a perfect algorithm which is totally unbreakable - it is the One Time Pad (OTP). The OTP is rarely or never used because the problem of distributing the keys is insolvable - the cost is so prohibitive that only governments use it and even then they use it only for their most important messages, certainly much less than one message in a million. If governments can't afford the cost of distributing keys how is *anyone* going to be able to afford the cost of distributing new algorithms - let alone the cost of designing and testing (and here I mean just in a computational sense and not the far more expensive security sense)?

Further, the notion of using encryption so one person can clandestinely communicate with another is completely outdated, and rather like trying to establish the validity of a medieval apothecary in modern society. With today's cryptography I can securely conduct financial business any where in the world. This year alone I have done business in China, Hong Kong, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, USA, Canada and Australia. None of this would not be possible with your encryption.

With your encryption there would not be any electronic banking or credit cards and all commerce would be back to the speeds of the 1940's. Can you see why the idea is just a dead end?

  • Re: multithreading for pathfinding?
    ... If your pathfinding algo takes that long for a single static path, ... So better often use a fast algo to find a rough idea about the path ... The problem is that this path-finding algorithm takes a bit of time -- ... The disadvantage of #1 is that I have to figure out how much "work" can be ...
  • A poormans block encryption algorithm
    ... scenario where two partners agree on a secret key for block encryption ... under the circumstance that one of them has to implement the algorithm ... coefficients can be generated from the given secret key by ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Pin generation algorithm question
    ... the pin-generation system. ... PINs required becomes important. ... By "the algorithm," do you mean the PIN-generating algorithm, ... And you use the same algorithm and secret key in the field to verify ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: HELP: Need a simple hash function
    ... >> folding rather than truncating. ... only one algorithm in use in 2G cellphones that ... CAVE for "Cellular Authentication and Voice ... inputs except for the 64-bit secret key, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: A question about passwords and login/authentication
    ... The DES algorithm is a secret key algorithm (so the same key is used ... comunication between Windows and SAMBA and "how does one determine ... For SAMBA on a linux: the authentification is determinate by the ...
    (Focus-Linux)