Re: IDEA patent has expired in Europe

On May 24, 8:30 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Somewhat OT (at least): being personally against software patents in
general, I would like to see there be effective ways for all patented
cryptos be boycotted by the public. For that would have longterm
favourable effects for the advancements of science IMHO. (BTW I find it
sarcastic that a patented product, not arbitrarily usable by everybody
everywhere in the world, carries in its name 'international'.)

M. K. Shen

It's called open source. When SSH was new and AES wasn't out yet
people just used other ciphers like Blowfish when DES was deemed too
slow. SSL used RC4, etc...

Now that AES is out, and RSA/ECC are relatively patent free [in a
useful context] it doesn't really matter that other algos are out.
NTRU for instance will sit on the sidelines only being a footnote of
academia until the patent expires, and then, MAYBE, people will pick
up on it.

Tom
.