Re: Hash strengthening

Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The idea here is not to make it hard to find hashes in order to make
brute force attacks harder, as in more usual hash strengthening
techniques where a hash is repeated several hundred or thousand times,
but to make it hard to find 2nd preimages.

Is there anything wrong with this?

What is the motivation, because we believe it is hard to find 2nd
preimages for current hash functions. Why strengthen?

--
kg

  • Re: Hash strengthening
    ... brute force attacks harder, as in more usual hash strengthening techniques where a hash is repeated several hundred or thousand times, but to make it hard to find 2nd preimages. ... The adversary can create correctly formatted inputs. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Hash strengthening
    ... as in more usual hash strengthening ... techniques where a hash is repeated several hundred or thousand times, ... but to make it hard to find 2nd preimages. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Manual hashing
    ... No such claim appeared in my posts. ... As usual with hash functions, ... digest is shorter than the message. ... I spoon-fed the detailed steps to find preimages of any hash. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Manual hashing
    ... No such claim appeared in my posts. ... As usual with hash functions, ... digest is shorter than the message. ... I spoon-fed the detailed steps to find preimages of any hash. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: "index" efficiency... any help or ideas?
    ... no general purpose hashing method, no matter how good, is good enough ... to prevent the possibility that everything hash into the same place. ... > Downside of hashes; if the data is stored externally, ... > perfect hashing are techniques that require analysis of the data in advance, ...
    (alt.lang.asm)