Re: Zimmermann develops new secure VoIP software

On May 12, 8:55 am, Stuart Barkley <stua...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 at 17:56 -0000, Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
http://zfoneproject.com/

I haven't seen anyone else mention this.  zfone was discussed here
many years ago.  It isn't particularily new, maybe just newly
rediscovered.

This web site is lacking significant dates, but mostly looks like a
typical nearly dead product.  The dates I do see are:

* The copyright at the bottom of each page is 2006 (probably a
template).

* The News page points to various things from 2005 to 2009.  Nothing
more recent.

* On the download page "This new 22 Mar 2009 version" seems to be the
latest version and is still beta.

* RFC 6189 is dated April 2011 and mentioned on the site.  This does
indicate some background activity going on.

I do like the idea of zfone and wish it had worked out better and
that standard (or zfone encrupted) SIP had actually taken off.  Skype
just has a horrible security model (AFAIK it is just "trust us").

Maybe it can still recover ("I'm not dead").

Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone

I got curious I found stuff like

Zfone 0.9.0 Build 265

on the net so tried to install it on windows 7

what a night mare it did something bad to machine

had to reload to a previous save point to get the

machine to run again. So I think even installing

it is full of bugs. I think I will wait till a

new version comes out. But it my be a dead product.

Nice idea maybe the government but pressure on him

to drop it since it does seem like a good idea.

David A. Scott
--
My Crypto code
http://bijective.dogma.net/crypto/scott19u.zip