Re: Zimmermann develops new secure VoIP software

On Thu, 5 May 2011 at 17:56 -0000, Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

http://zfoneproject.com/

I haven't seen anyone else mention this. zfone was discussed here
many years ago. It isn't particularily new, maybe just newly
rediscovered.

This web site is lacking significant dates, but mostly looks like a
typical nearly dead product. The dates I do see are:

* The copyright at the bottom of each page is 2006 (probably a
template).

* The News page points to various things from 2005 to 2009. Nothing
more recent.

* On the download page "This new 22 Mar 2009 version" seems to be the
latest version and is still beta.

* RFC 6189 is dated April 2011 and mentioned on the site. This does
indicate some background activity going on.

I do like the idea of zfone and wish it had worked out better and
that standard (or zfone encrupted) SIP had actually taken off. Skype
just has a horrible security model (AFAIK it is just "trust us").

Maybe it can still recover ("I'm not dead").

Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
-- Daniel Boone