Re: Null integrity protection and encryption algorithms

On May 7, 4:21 am, mike clark <undefinedsp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But, I wonder why should we need to go in for an algorithm to make
'b' appear as 'b'  or apply an algorithm to get a 32-bit MAC of all
zeros ?
Isn't it enough to send it directly without applying any NULL
integrity protection
or NULL encryption algorithm ?

Any guesses? What if you have a predefined protocol?

Okay.

But anyhow,
One of the reason for this query is because this algorithm inturn
consumes some processor instruction cycles and there is an
impact on performance/energy consumption. So, isn't it enough
to send without applying either the NULL integrity protection or
NULL encryption algorithm if it were to behave such that
NULL(b) = I(b) = b ?

I wonder Why should we need to go in for an algorithm to make
'b' appear as 'b' or to generate a 32-bit MAC of all zeros .
Why can't we just make a copy of 'b' to the output of the encryption
directly instead of doing the NULL encryption algorithm to get 'b'
as encrypted output ?
Also, similarly, why can't we fill the 32-bit MAC with all zeros
instead of
applying the NULL algorithm to get a 32-bit MAC of all zeros ?

By this method, we can improve the performance becuase using
an algorithm will consume a cycle . But, i wonder why they came
up with a NULL algorithm to make 'b' to appear as 'b' or to fill zeros
in 32-bit MAC ?

Thx in advans

  • Re: Im still amused.
    ... keys with certain algorithms. ... independent operation to the encryption algorithm that will use it. ... random keyset that has no intended use. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Im still amused.
    ... keys with certain algorithms. ... independent operation to the encryption algorithm that will use it. ... something that has randomness as a permanent general-purpose intrinsic ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Im still amused.
    ... keys with certain algorithms. ... independent operation to the encryption algorithm that will use it. ... something that has randomness as a permanent general-purpose intrinsic ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Im still amused.
    ... independent operation to the encryption algorithm that will use it. ... the keyset is only random when it is custom-created for the ... If weak or unusable keys as it might unfortunately be are possible, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • A plead for simple encryption schemes
    ... 'practice' of employing comparatively simple encryption algorithms. ... reduction of security requirements posed on the encryption algorithm ... simplicity and security of an encryption algorithm. ...
    (sci.crypt)