Re: Null integrity protection and encryption algorithms

On May 7, 3:42 am, mike clark <undefinedsp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 6, 6:24 pm, super manidhan <super.manid...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,
What is the need for Null Integrity Protection Algorithm ?

Which of the following does this null encryption or null integrity
algorithm basically refer to ?
1. We will not apply any encryption or integrity protection algorithm.
2. We should tweak encryption algorithm(example - AES-CTR) that will
encrypt such that the text 'S.Man' will get encrypted as 'S.Man' only
or we should tweak integrity algorithm(example - AES-CMAC) to generate
a 32-bit MAC of all zeros repectively.

Thx in advans

Having problems with homework? RFC 2410 is actually quite an
entertaining read. Check it out.http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2410.html

Thankyou for the reply.

That is, the RFC 2410 seems to convey that we should tweak encryption
algorithm(example - AES-CTR) that will encrypt such that the text
'S.Man' will get encrypted as 'S.Man' only or we should tweak
integrity
algorithm(example - AES-CMAC) to generate a 32-bit MAC of all zeros
repectively.

But, I wonder why should we need to go in for an algorithm to make
'b' appear as 'b' or apply an algorithm to get a 32-bit MAC of all
zeros ?
Isn't it enough to send it directly without applying any NULL
integrity protection
or NULL encryption algorithm ?

Extract from RFC 2410
=================
NULL is defined mathematically by the use of the Identity function
I applied to a block of data b such that

NULL(b) = I(b) = b

test_case = 1
data = 0x123456789abcdef
data_len = 8
NULL_data = 0x123456789abcdef

test_case = 2
data = "Network Security People Have A Strange Sense Of
Humor"
data_len = 53
NULL_data = "Network Security People Have A Strange Sense Of
Humor"

=======================

Thx in advans

  • Re: A new encryption software of mine
    ... and zero rigorous analysis or testing. ... the algorithm was designed as an extreme parallel algorithm, ... random data that the programmers who wrote STS assumed that it simply ... this is the *worst* possible thing that could happen to any encryption ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: New Encryption Idea
    ... performing the 5 reads necessary in the example algorithm results in a delay ... Panama at 400MB/sec, or RC4 at about 90MB/sec, or AES in CTR mode at ... and the speed failings of your design become very clear. ... > Manansala Encryption and Authentication System ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Meganets "unbreakable" cryptography? Im skeptical.
    ... Meganet makes such grandiose claims that I can't help but ... There's plenty of coverage on secret encryption algorithms ... encryption algorithm that was granted U.S. Patent ... Labor has bought into this "snake oil" and without a doubt ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: A new encryption software of mine
    ... the algorithm was designed as an extreme parallel algorithm, ... good encryption algorithms *really* need ... the reason for testing against regular patterns is to test whether there ... then you should move on to CBC because what ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Enigma machine strenght using a computer
    ... cipher with rotors that spin backwards, forwards, stop and start based ... on other rotors, change their values according to the phase of the moon ... encryption less error-prone and they were a cost effective way to get ... case) than not since a wider base uses the same algorithm. ...
    (sci.crypt)