Compression - is this it, or is there more to come?

Compression algorithms have obviously come a long way, but now it seems
they're all standing at the end gates of what's possible. With encryption we
can continue to make things harder and harder to crack, but with compression
it seems there's only so much you can do to crunch data ... are we reaching
the limits of compression or is there still a lot more to come?

  • Re: AES and Diehard
    ... >you could employ kill file, ... The result of encryption which might eventually develop ... a standard for crypto the 'diversity' of interests is ... compression algorithm could exploit in order to compress. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • [HPADM] SUMMARY: File Transfer from AS400 to HP-UX with compression and e ncryption?
    ... Also I'd like to know what compression and/or encryption techniques might be ... We're currently doing FTP from AS400 which is taking about 5 hours so they'd ... The gzip site says there is no encryption available for gzip so one would ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • Re: Compression and encryption
    ... I would like to have both encryption (in case the computer gets ... I could tell Windows to compress the files that get written to the ... Windows XP Pro comes with EFS. ... I want both compression and encryption. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Just a thought...
    ... idea apply bijective arithmetic compression or bijective PPM compression ... like in BICOM before the encryption. ... way even if the correct key was used say for a CBC AES type of encryption ... you could rotate the file using DSC or you could add a secret number ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Logical Thinking...???
    ... Aside from the fact that it's mighty hard to define "random noise," ... even over a set of common compression methods. ... (to the compressed file + its encryption key ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)