Uncovering Spoken Phrases in Encrypted Voice over IP Conversations

Or why bulk encryption fails.

Charles V. Wright, Lucas Ballard, Scott E. Coull, Fabian Monrose,
Gerald M. Masson
Uncovering Spoken Phrases in Encrypted Voice over IP Conversations

From the abstract: "we show that it is possible to identify the
phrases spoken within encrypted VoIP calls when the audio is
encoded using variable bit rate codecs"

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1880022.1880029

Francois Grieu

  • Uncovering Spoken Phrases in Encrypted Voice over IP Conversations
    ... Or why bulk encryption fails. ... Gerald M. Masson, Johns Hopkins University ... Uncovering Spoken Phrases in Encrypted Voice over IP Conversations ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Impact of encryption algorithms on audio
    ... >audio (in terms of sound quality and real-time processing). ... >Is there any research paper or product white papers? ... that doesn't mean encryption is totally devoid of impact on ... the impact of the compression scheme on the audio is present. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Impact of encryption algorithms on audio
    ... >>Is there any research paper or product white papers? ... that doesn't mean encryption is totally devoid of impact on ... the impact of the compression scheme on the audio is present. ... Digital radio broadcasting uses ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Encryption *As Recorded* can anyone give me a clue?
    ... As the audio comes in to drive, the stream itself needs to be encrypted to ... be made tamper-proof, not just read-only. ... The stream itself does not require encryption, ... blocks of audio have a hash (eg ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Encryption *As Recorded* can anyone give me a clue?
    ... using a hash and encryption so that the ... signature can be verified and authenticated. ... audio can be trusted, if there's audio at all it can be trusted. ... each packet having at least a sequence number and timestamp. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)