Re: DES key parity bits. What is the correct story?

On 2011-03-05, ping pong <mosescuadro@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. Do you "have to" set the parity bits after generating a random 64 bit
value for the DES key?

Depends on teh software.

2. Or can the key be used leaving the parity bits 7, 15, 23, ... , 63
in that randomly selected state.

Depends on the software.

3. Or can you even set them to anything you like.

AFAIK most DES implimentations simply ignore the parity bits. Why should
the program tell you if you entered the wrong key?

Obviously if someone in the key distribution network is going to check these
parity bits
the the answer is 1.

But what I am asking is:
When analysis of the cipher is performed which of the cases 1 - 3 is
normally assumed?

The cypher has nothing to do with the parity bits. I presume it was
included to test for errors in key distribution. But there are other
ways of doing that now.

  • Re: DES key parity bits. What is the correct story?
    ... in that randomly selected state. ... When creating/writing a DES key, you should definitely set the parity ... When analysis of the cipher is performed which of the cases 1 - 3 is ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: DES key parity bits. What is the correct story?
    ... Depends on teh software. ... AFAIK most DES implimentations simply ignore the parity bits. ... it _does_ give you eight bits of known plaintext if parity ... Do you mean if I send a DES key to someone else then the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: DES key parity bits. What is the correct story?
    ... Depends on teh software. ... AFAIK most DES implimentations simply ignore the parity bits. ... it _does_ give you eight bits of known plaintext if parity ... Do you mean if I send a DES key to someone else then the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Thanks - we have concensus: Re: DES key parity bits. What is the correct story?
    ... Even a "doubt" I had about exactly where the parity bits were ... correct 56 bits according to that DES key bit selection table ... Although the implementation has the start 64 bits in an array ... value for the DES key? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: DES key parity bits. What is the correct story?
    ... value for the DES key? ... in that randomly selected state. ... The parity check should be performed by the key variable management software/equipment. ... This will permit the equipment to detect problems like typing errors when the KV are entered and/or flat batteries in the data transport equipment. ...
    (sci.crypt)