Re: Broad software solution to securing a computer for buisness purposes

On 11-01-30 10:40 AM, Cameron Tujen wrote:
Hi, I'm sorry if this post seems noobish, but I've been tring to find
a guide to secure a home computer and important documents, email,
possible credit card details that might be stored on my computer ect.

What is noobish about your question, and why answers here seem too vague to be useful, is that you haven't clarified what you mean by "secure a home computer".

To give you more specific help, we would need to know how you wish to use the computer (and data) and what you need to secure against. If you need to secure against malware (including spyware and the like) but have to use Windows then there are things you can do like avoid Internet Explorer and Outhouse. Keeping all of your software up-to-date and using Microsoft's Security Essentials will be good.

Over the decades, Windows users have gotten into the habit of running as Administrator. You can also limit potential damage by creating a separate non-Administrator account for yourself that you do all of your day to day activity in. Again, if you must use Windows, move to Vista or Windows 7.

You did post to a cryptography group, so maybe you were concerned about keeping data on your computer secret if someone else gains access to your computer. I've really been away the Windows environment since, well, ever. But GnuPG is a name I very much trust for cryptographic tools on any platform.

To keep your on-line accounts well protected, you need to have strong, unique passwords for every site you log into. (So that if one site is compromised, it doesn't provide a way in to all of the others that you use.) There is no way to humanly do that for more than a tiny handful of sites without help. So for your on-line activity you should use a password management system. There are several good ones to choose from, and lots of bad ones to avoid. I work for the makers on one (of the good ones), so I will leave it to others to offer specific recommendations.

The slogan among people dealing with security is that security is process, not a product. This means that it about the way you do things and think about things, not some product you buy that magically gives you "security" once and for all. It is because of this that there are no simple answers to your question.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... OEM Windows XP Home goes for a bit under $100. ... >> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... Microsoft counts on third-party developers to provide more ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... >>> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... >>> I, on the other hand, was speaking about overall Windows security, not ... I do believe that Microsoft could adjust their prices for the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Windows Is Now More Secure Than Linux
    ... >OpenSSL is compiled into just about every 'secure' application in the Unix ... You know, a lot of people see me as a "Windows defender", mainly because I pop ... The solution, if there is one, to security problems, is to choose a supplier ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: [inbox] Re: [Full-Disclosure] RE: Linux (in)security
    ... When you have inherently more secure code in OS's ... "Windows" includes all the applications that come with Windows, ... Which is why they release security advisories for things like kernel ... This is why wu-ftpd keeps having new vulns discovered every year, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Close browser window & open another
    ... Windows Integrated Security is being used. ... When a MIS Tech is at another employees pc, and they log into the secure ... Do I need to have the browser close, and open up another browser window? ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)