Re: Trust in information security -- How much is appropriate?

On 2010-12-17, Greg Rose <ggr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article <iee4e9$qll$02$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ken Thompson's paper "Reflections on trusting trust" is probably
well-known to most people. (http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html)
Whether his sentence "You can't trust code that you did not totally
create yourself" is exaggerated presumably is open to differences
of opinions. (I personally would at least trust a code that has been
and can be repeatedly proved to be correct by program verifications.)

Then you didn't understand his talk.

Agreed. However, his talk was in many ways silly. Could one alter a
compiler as he says-- probably, but without some great advances in AI
I have quite a lot of faith that that compiler could not keep up with
changes in the program, or rewriting of the program. Especially when he
wrote it, the contention that software in the compiler could recognize
any encryption program or rewriting thereof was just silly.

Also, trust is not a binary attribute. There are degrees of trust. If
you only did things in which you had complete trust, you would either
never do anything, or would do everything.

Greg.

  • Re: ASP.NET hosting & MS Access
    ... the only way to let a partial trust web app access OLEDB sources is through an intermediate full trust code in the GAC - ...
  • Re: OT/If I Have XP SP2...Is there any "real" need to install SP3?
    ... Oh...you probably don't trust them. ... of money on advertising, and then think about how much influence they ... Microsoft C++ compiler was outperformed by other compilers on the tests. ... Never mind that its integrated editor-compiler-debugger was great. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Encrypting/Decrypting Password from a Config File
    ... >> That assumes you trust the compiler. ... even if each of the individual components behave exactly ... And there's still the issue of trusting your own senses. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Encrypting/Decrypting Password from a Config File
    ... US code breakers broke a one time pad because they found it ... That assumes you trust the compiler. ... So your best bet is to build a read-only USB key from scratch, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: OT/If I Have XP SP2...Is there any "real" need to install SP3?
    ... Oh...you probably don't trust them. ... Microsoft and their PR flaks at Waggoner-Edstrom went nuts, tried to discredit me, tried to discredit the tests used, and so on and so on, when their precious Microsoft C++ compiler was outperformed by other compilers on the tests. ... Never mind that its integrated editor-compiler-debugger was great. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)