Re: In the Beginning.

On Oct 22, 10:00 pm, WTShaw <lure...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, adacrypt <austin.oby...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You are pushing against an open door here.
There is no suggestion that the OTP is a viable proposition in main
stream cryptography by me here.  Any analysis-cum-discussion of the
OTP is purely academic today.  I am not making a case for its return
by any means.

Without copying you whole posting, let me quickly say that you do
grasp much of the matters you mention, especially in another way that
those who want everything simplified to binary related algorithms are
in effect throwing out the baby with the bath water.

It is the crux of many arguments that anything that detracts from
their position must be hamstrung by traditional problems rather than
keeping the baby in the tub whilst purging the supernatant effuses
from the bulbous froth of limited historic understanding of
cryptographic strength.

Remember that for cryptography as a business and/or control mode,
competition or hints of generalized problems are not welcomed to the
front of the parade.  I'm not offering here today comments that you
have the only, last, or even a great choice for grand solutions to
real implemented cryptographic nightmares but that you do see some of
what popular unacknowledged errors retrench established difficulties
into popular shoddy means advanced as modern which incorporate what
select few see as throwbacks incorporating unlearned lessons.  In that
light, I salute you and encourage you to keep at it in relevant
quests; detractors don't get it and adopt hostility as an answer to
their having a somewhat limited parochial grasp of their potentially
solvable echoing mistakes.

Yes,
Hi,

The incredible shortsightedness of binary representation is coming
home to roost in earnest now – clearly the byte-happy drones just
cannot believe that it will and indeed must end, in the face of
threats from increasing computer power such as quantum computers.
Some idiots call it modern cryptography and anybody who doesn’t
enthuse about it is reckoned not to understand it. What a mountain
they have to climb and don’t realise it.

Complexity wrought by gimmicky juxtaposition of bits and discarding
the immense power of all other mathematics is seriously a case of
throwing the baby away and keeping the bath water but that is what
they have done. This, as an enduring crypto system is laughable but
clearly it has its following – the more informed and far-seeing
readers are keeping quiet I think.

The blind have led the blind into an intellectual cul-de-sac thinking
that they will never again need the vast remaining scope of
mathematics outside of this one-off binary-based curio. Imagine
putting your eggs so naively into one basket. The insularity of the
herd is amazing – they still think the world is flat and ends on the
west coast.

Of course cryptography as a cultural pursuit – hey, hey

Roll on quantum computers, we’re waiting to be found out - adacrypt

  • =?windows-1252?Q?Snake_oil_warning_Re=3A_Principles_of?= =?windows-1252?Q?_Modernising_the_O
    ... A warning to all new in cryptography - adacrypt has no idea about what he is doing and has no idea about cryptography in general. ... Time Pad cipher. ... The historic OTP cipher has suffered mostly from bad publicity and has ... problems of the day that a few lines of modern computer source code ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Hardware True Random Number Generator design / concept
    ... Do a google for Mersenne Twister, very good algorithm, long cycle. ... for producing key material for One Time Pad (OTP - cryptography), ... with unlimited computing power that OTP offers. ... The reason they state that MT is not cryptographically secure is ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Searchindexer -- for whose benefit?
    ... Amateurs tend to get infatuated with OTP because when it works, ... one-time pad, the random key must be longer than the text to be sent. ... All this cryptography stuff is mostly going whoosh over my head, ... Codes and ciphers were popular in whodunits in the 1930s, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: research into modern computer-based one-time pad implementations?
    ... > Simon Johnson wrote: ... >> The OTP doesn't solve a cryptographic problem. ... cryptography generally involves moving messages. ... >> the problem of protecting the file the problem of protecting an ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Searchindexer -- for whose benefit?
    ... conventional cryptography, with all its advantages over OTP? ... Amateurs tend to get infatuated with OTP because when it works, ... and securely exchange pads at least as ... a one-time pad should be at least as ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)