Re: Classified NSA ciphers

Mr. B wrote:
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

......... If I were the NSA I'd
probably use AES-256 for almost everything, since it has been
vigorously studied during the last 8 years or so. Security by secrecy
is known NOT to work!

If you were such an agency, I would suggest that you combine AES with
your home-grown secret algorithms in multiple encipherment for
encryption of top secrets, for two locks are likely to be more secure
than one.

Yes, because composing two ciphers definitely improves security:

If one doesn't know how to properly do something, e.g. switching on/off
an electrical appartus or walking across a road, then no wonder that
catastrophe may (and usually) result.

M. K. Shen

  • Re: Wireless wiretapping unconstitutional
    ... I object to the secrecy about this. ... that the terrorists were planning to mix up on the plane, ... officials responsible for security. ... Congress is under control of the Republicans who won't ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Back Doors (was: EXCP with a DEB)
    ... The first thing to do upon finding a security hole is to notify the vendor. ... IBM will generally understand the hole, and fix it within a reasonable time. ... Said someone else might use the security hole maliciously, ... Secrecy is only beneficial to security in limited circumstances, and certainly not with respect to vulnerability or reliability information. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity
    ... I don't think port-knocking qualifies as "security ... One of the government's major concerns about the NY Times disclosure ... -- then it's not Security Through Obscurity. ... and does not rely on the secrecy of the mechanism. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Question about Fortuna and repeating blocks
    ... with forward security. ... Fortuna rekeys after every 'use', which it does for forward secrecy, ... would expect close to one collision on the block values." ... During the discussion of the 2^16 block limit, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: ECB+CTR Mode?
    ... OCB, by Phillip Rogaway. ... I presume you mean `secrecy' where you said `security'. ... Many applications will truncate MAC tags, ...
    (sci.crypt)