Re: A New/Old code Just For Fun

On Jul 20, 10:47 am, Paulo Marques <pmarq...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Fiziwig wrote:
Just for the fun of it (I'm retired with nothing better to do with my
time :)
Encoded, the average is 2.35 Roman letters per English word, or about
half the size of the same message in English plaintext.

This seems like a cute project, but I don't understand why you didn't
use a standard huffman code to build the tables instead of using ad-hoc
rules. There are even projects available for building n-ary huffman trees:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/huffman-ta/

This will certainly decrease the average word size, since huffman is
optimal for discrete encodings with known frequencies.

I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for a human being using a
hard copy code book and pencil and paper. More optimal encodings,
while more efficient, would necessarily be more complex for use by
mere humans. And don't forget, if the empire falls and civilization
crumbles, future feudal lords and kings will once again have to rely
on paper and pencil cryptography. ;-)

(I'm sorry if I'm raining on your parade, though :( )

No need. This is just for fun, and there's no ego invested in it. I
just wanted to see how far I could go with a modern remake of the old
telegrapher's code book idea.

This group takes cryptography seriously and your description just sounds
like an extremely "weak" cypher...

Yes, very weak indeed. But I'm enjoying the project all the same. And
besides, Byrne's "weak" cipher resisted cracking for many decades.
(See my functional equivalent of the Choacipher machine at
http://fiziwig.com/crypto/tile1.html )

If you want a practical way to encrypt/decrypt emails to/from friends,
just take a look at gpg.

yes, there are better ways to encrypt email for security, but this is
a pencil and paper system, which appeals to my retro nature.

--gary
.