Re: How secure is one's computer?

On 2010-07-12, adacrypt <austin.obyrne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 11, 7:46?pm, WTShaw <lure...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 11, 11:37?am, amzoti <amz...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 11, 2:51?am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The race between producers of malware and producers of anti-malware is
well-known. It is IMHO natural to assume that the former, being the
'active' partner, have some advantages in this race and so the computer
of an average user has always a very real chance of being infected
without detection, no matter how much money he invests in purchasing
software to protect his computer and how careful and disciplined he
does his work.

I think it even may not be entirely foolish to question the (aboslute)
safety of protection software themselves, for these are as a rule
trusted based on the market reputation of the producers only, if I
don't err.

I remember the time of the first PC that I used, where a few colleagues
of mine were regularly reading and adapting some parts of the operating
system (CP/M), apparently with ease. Nowadays, who among the users of
computers have competent knowledge (and means) to understand some
details of an OS, let alone checking and modifing them? And the previous
question certainly applies here as well.

Without saying, all other foreign software downloaded are in principle
(maybe more) questionable.

BTW, a recent article on cyber warfare could serve also for looking at
the matter from a different standpoint:

? ?http://www.economist.com/node/16478792

M. K. Shen

Why would you think there is only one attack profile from
<who_cares_***>_ware?

For example, look at:http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html

If it is electronic (or otherwise), it is vulnerable as the number of
attack profiles is limitless and one only needs to get passed the
weakest link.

Forgive my theft of Einstein's quote with a slight modification.

"It's not only worse than you imagine, it's worse than you can
imagine! "

Cyber warfare can be equated to the war on drugs - what a joke - but
it makes for great articles, journal and research papers.

There are simple strategies that work. ?Bad design can be countered
with good protocols to isolate the weaknesses, not talking about
endless patches but the absurd use of common sense to do the obvious.
"The path to ruin is well trodden."- Hide quoted text -

Hi W.T,

This topic is outside of my remit and indeed my knowledge in the
context of mutual database cryptography - however, I have in mind a
free standing computer at Bob's end i.e. not connected to the internet
- the ciphertext is transmitted via a properly connected computer and
then relayed internally by Bob to this freestanding computer where it
is decrypted - a cyber attack on the freestanding computer is
impossible ? - adacrypt

What does "relayed internally" mean? An attack is possible via that
"internal relay". Also trojan, virus, ... attacks are all possible via
that "internal relay"

  • Re: How secure is ones computer?
    ... attack profiles is limitless and one only needs to get passed the ... free standing computer at Bob's end i.e. not connected to the internet ... then relayed internally by Bob to this freestanding computer where it ... that "internal relay" ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • MUSLIMS PIGS ATTACK!
    ... Leading Blog Attacked by Muslim Cyber-terrorists ... Internet, announced just now, "Last Tuesday, during or immediately ... intentional attack to deny our Constitutional right to free speech and ... against terrorism could not have been undertaken by amateurs. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • MUSLIM PIGS!
    ... Leading Blog Attacked by Muslim Cyber-terrorists ... Internet, announced just now, "Last Tuesday, during or immediately ... intentional attack to deny our Constitutional right to free speech and ... against terrorism could not have been undertaken by amateurs. ...
    (alt.religion.islam)
  • MUSLIM PIGS ATTACK!
    ... Leading Blog Attacked by Muslim Cyber-terrorists ... Internet, announced just now, "Last Tuesday, during or immediately ... intentional attack to deny our Constitutional right to free speech and ... against terrorism could not have been undertaken by amateurs. ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • [Full-disclosure] STEP Security
    ... Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering ... security in otherwise insecure environments. ... APT (Another Possible Threat) ... of a cyber attack before more terabytes of data are exfiltrated from ...
    (Full-Disclosure)