How secure is one's computer?

The race between producers of malware and producers of anti-malware is
well-known. It is IMHO natural to assume that the former, being the
'active' partner, have some advantages in this race and so the computer
of an average user has always a very real chance of being infected
without detection, no matter how much money he invests in purchasing
software to protect his computer and how careful and disciplined he
does his work.

I think it even may not be entirely foolish to question the (aboslute)
safety of protection software themselves, for these are as a rule
trusted based on the market reputation of the producers only, if I
don't err.

I remember the time of the first PC that I used, where a few colleagues
of mine were regularly reading and adapting some parts of the operating
system (CP/M), apparently with ease. Nowadays, who among the users of
computers have competent knowledge (and means) to understand some
details of an OS, let alone checking and modifing them? And the previous
question certainly applies here as well.

Without saying, all other foreign software downloaded are in principle
(maybe more) questionable.

BTW, a recent article on cyber warfare could serve also for looking at
the matter from a different standpoint:

http://www.economist.com/node/16478792

M. K. Shen

  • Re: I like White vs. Black vs. Asian better.
    ... We know what is outcome if the producers ... don't rig the game for old vs. young." ... Interesting...I thought that the 'race' show was FAR more controversial ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)
  • Speaking of bad taste and taboos
    ... I watched The Producers for the first time today. ... see it before because of the subject matter, ... half because the tickets had been so expensive we felt we must. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: GN1970 physics...
    ... Welcome to the "present" and ignore the past business models of game ... producers. ... sim community to see exactly where we are heading if we can't just get some ... > It's not a matter of living in the past, but simply a matter of continuing ...
    (rec.autos.simulators)
  • Re: Robbie Coltrane To Reprise Cracker
    ... Hasn't forensics whether psychological or physical been done to death by US and UK producers? ... Tricky ... bollocks, no matter how cliched ridden and predictable it is. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)