Re: How to determine passphrase entropy?

unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The key is that there is not "entropy of a password". One can only make
reasonable assumptions about the attacker's strategy

I see "entropy of a password" as shorthand for "entropy of the
distribution that the password is drawn from". The attacker's obvious
strategy is to model the distribution as closely as possible, then
search starting from the most probable passwords.

  • Re: How to determine passphrase entropy?
    ... I see "entropy of a password" as shorthand for "entropy of the ... distribution that the password is drawn from". ... search stragegy is. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: behavior as mapping
    ... estimating a probability distribution, the distribution ... sequence with equal probability - since you have microsecond temporal ... reduction of the entropy Pto the entropy P ... If there were 4 genes we would need 2 bits of binding site info. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Computational secure entropy extraction
    ... distilling entropy from an unknown distribution. ... there existed some universal entropy distiller that could be used on all input ... D is -secure if given that k is drawn from any distribution ... Let's define that a "hit" is the case ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: behavior as mapping
    ... estimating a probability distribution, the distribution ... sequence with equal probability - since you have microsecond temporal ... reduction of the entropy Pto the entropy P ... If there were 4 genes we would need 2 bits of binding site info. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: new /dev/random
    ... >A c1,c2 entropy generator takes any input k and produces a string of ... >fixing any probability distribution it likes over those strings, ... >long as the entropy exceeds k. ... our mixer to do a good job with, we can then ask whether applying SHA1 ...
    (sci.crypt)