Re: Antispam strategies

Bill Gates actually suggested this at one point.

However, nearly all spam is now sent from virus-infected machines, as
ISPs tolerant of spam quickly find themselves blocked these days.

To prevent the victim of an infected machine from owing vast sums of
money, we could design modems so that whenever you sent an E-mail, you
had to push a button on the modem to let it through. Then the fee
wouldn't even be needed. This is sort of like an idea I had for
defeating dialers - have phone modems have a telephone dial, and
require one to manually dial when starting a connection.

John Savard

  • Re: Antispam strategies
    ... However, nearly all spam is now sent from virus-infected machines, as ... ISPs tolerant of spam quickly find themselves blocked these days. ... To prevent the victim of an infected machine from owing vast sums of ... money, we could design modems so that whenever you sent an E-mail, you ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Spam and using a real email address
    ... the person who had reported on individual modems. ... run into spam filters, or firewalls - it's a "best effort" mechanism ... to look at the headers on the POP server, ... still seeing maybe one in twenty that get past the filter being spam. ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: A part time dial-in line?
    ... > write the settings including the auto answer number of rings to your modems ... all you have to do is start getty in ttys with a ttyd device. ... > sets carrier detect to only be asserted when a carrier is present. ... Remove all numbers, then remove invalid, email, no, and spam to reply. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)