Re: How much cyber security is really there?

In article
<087e6dbe-f673-4084-b86f-a7a8da0dae93@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
bmearns <mearns.b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah, but that's the end-use case we're dealing with: why is my computer
any different than my microwave?  Or maybe we need to require computer
operator licenses, like driver's licenses and (in Canada) gun licenses?

Why is a computer different than a microwave? Why is a raven different
than a writing desk?

I gather then that you've seen Alice :-)?

They're just different things and this whole
cultural expectation that they be the same is just wishful thinking.
Worse, it puts people in the wrong frame of mind when dealing with
them, and leads people to assume that it is safe by default and one
would have to go out of one's way to use it dangerously, rather than
the other way around.

I'm really not trying to suggest that anybody has any particular
obligation to make it otherwise,

I humbly suggest that any security professional does, and must.

I'm just making an observation about
why so many people suffer from bad security. A complex technology has
been developed and, through the strange and subtle events of history,
has made its way into everyday society.

Rather like steam boilers, automobiles, and rifles, eh?

Let alone microwaves.

outer

  • Re: How much cyber security is really there?
    ... operator licenses, like driver's licenses and gun licenses? ... Security professionals have an obligation to make the systems they ... and a microwave are essentially black boxes, ... exactly what's going on "behind the scenes", ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: How much cyber security is really there?
    ... operator licenses, like driver's licenses and gun licenses? ... Security professionals have an obligation to make the systems they ... and a microwave are essentially black boxes, ... exactly what's going on "behind the scenes", ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: License Question: US and Canada
    ... Licenses from Microsoft is the same for USA and Canada. ... Our company might need to provide a notebook for an end-user in Canada. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Busking - playing music in the street
    ... Oleg Lego wrote: ... but it's common in Canada. ... licenses for it but not to most other people, ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Trainings ? Licences ?
    ... I'm living in Canada and I would like to know which kind of licenses ... Prev by Date: ...
    (rec.pyrotechnics)