Re: A poorman's stream encryption algorithm

unruh wrote:

For what? 16 bit RC4? No idea, but I suspect that one is fine, except
that one needs to discard a fair amount of the intial stream to get rid
of the intial biases.
As I recall, the original recommendations were to discard only a few (
something like 10) of the intial output from 8 bit rc4, but practice
discards something like 256 to play it safe. Exactly how many to discard
from rc4 16 bit I have no idea. But I also have absolutely no idea why
you want to use 16 bit rc4. Your initial reason has proven to be
wrong.

I recall that you wrote: "If you really want to impliment RC4 on words
you just need a 60000 entry mixing matrix." I wanted to indicate that's
not that simple. For in my humble view one has to investigate the
question whether a single swapping per step is sufficient as you
claimed.

M. K. Shen

  • Re: A poormans stream encryption algorithm
    ... No idea, but I suspect that one is fine, except ... that one needs to discard a fair amount of the intial stream to get rid ... the original recommendations were to discard only a few ( ... something like 10) of the intial output from 8 bit rc4, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: RC4 broken?
    ... What can be said is that RC4 is weak against related key ... > increasing key mixing is NOT the way to go, ... > I like the Ciphersaber philosophy, and I wish Arnold Reinhold would ... It may be shorter to discard 256 bytes than to do 20 rounds of key mixing, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: RC4 - discard first n bytes
    ... > 'real' ciphertext. ... Ignore first 256 bytes of keystream genrated by RC4 and use the rest ... If you don't like to discard the initial outputs, you might use VMPC, ... Bartosz Zoltak ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Cipher advice
    ... that seems to take 10-15 seconds to process a piece of sample data. ... have also tried RC4 which was very quick, ... AES so if you find an equally good AES implementation you could go with ... discard it) but maybe the time is spent over I/O bottlenecks or maybe ...
    (sci.crypt)