Re: Randomness of MD5 vs. SHA1

"Tom St Denis" <tom@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fefec602-6438-41cd-9b79-ea364303dcc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Feb 10, 10:52 am, Milen Rangelov <gat3...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 26, 5:55 pm, Tom St Denis <t...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

MD5 is computationally cheaper than SHA-1 if that helps.

Well, that's not necessarily true. SHA-1 has 16 more iterations as
compared to MD5, however it lacks multiplication and modulo
operations. Actually, on my box, OpenSSL's implementation of SHA-1 is
a bit faster than MD5 on short (16byte) messages:

Multiplication and modulo operations?

Maybe he got MD5 and RC5 confused...

SHA-1 takes longer because it has more rounds and operates on more
words at a time.

Actually, a full answer would involve an analysis of how the CPU (and cache)
handles both of the operations...

I'd personally write off the 16-byte block size since the calling
overhead is non-trivial at that point.

Why? Doing hashes of small blocks isn't that uncommon...

--
poncho

  • Re: Randomness of MD5 vs. SHA1
    ... compared to MD5, however it lacks multiplication and modulo ... Actually, on my box, OpenSSL's implementation of SHA-1 is ... Multiplication and modulo operations? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Randomness of MD5 vs. SHA1
    ... compared to MD5, however it lacks multiplication and modulo ... Actually, on my box, OpenSSL's implementation of SHA-1 is ... ....and slower for longer messages, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: This Weeks Finds in Mathematical Physics (Week 226)
    ... Yeah, I said SHA-1 and MD5 are different, and I said they were both vulnerable ... Attacking hash functions by poisoned ... where Ldenotes the length of the axiom system A, ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • Re: Re-secured Algorithm?
    ... >>MD5 collisions are actually trivial to generate. ... SHA-1 had real collisions in MD5. ... Personal attacks aside I doubt many ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Crypto Hash functions
    ... crypto-hash functions were "broken". ... MD5: ... SHA-1: wounded but still fighting. ... If you're signing bulk data, probably SHA-256 is your best bet. ...
    (sci.crypt)