Re: Does polynomial interpolation work with N-bit integers?

On Feb 5, 1:18 pm, bmearns <mearn...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance; I only studied fields briefly in an error
coding class and that was a few years ago. I never did get a solid
handle on what exactly defines a field or when one is needed.

Any decent algebra or number theory text will define a field for you.
I won't tell you what it is, look up these words instead:

1. group
2. ring
3. field

in that order. [hint: wikipedia probably has them like "mathematics
ring"]

Tom

  • Re: JSH: A simple error
    ... algebraic integers routinely move outside the ring. ... the tautology ... Extreme Mathematics Google group, as is my latest paper which is more ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Understanding the quotient ring nomenclature
    ... It does not serve as a motivation in the definition of ring. ... redundancy that has been pointed out. ... neither willing to try and work out why this interpretation must be ... student in mathematics who, being uninterested or, most likely, unable ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: JSH: A simple error
    ... algebraic integers routinely move outside the ring. ... I start with a modular tautology in terms of variables r, s, ... Extreme Mathematics Google group, as is my latest paper which is more ...
    (sci.math)
  • JSH Summery #4
    ... the 7 pop up, in only one factor, so that the mathematics clearly shows I'm ... usage of Galois Theory and the theory of ideals. ... where, oddly enough, you are forced to have a ring with fractions!!! ... with the Decker equations, in the ring of algebraic integers, where the goal ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: New paper, algebraic integers, Galois Theory
    ... > not apply in a commutative ring? ... Do you have another algebra lesson for me? ... > You're spitting on mathematics with your postings in this thread. ... share a non-unit factor in the ring of algebraic integers, ...
    (sci.math)