Re: Decimation

"Mok-Kong Shen" <mok-kong.shen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:hgo74e$kdq$00$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Decimation in crypto means selecting every tenth, and in general, selecting every nth element from a sequence in order to hide
exploitable patterns in it. (See http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/GLOSSARY.HTM#Decimation).

A tiny generalization in my humble view would be choosing elements from
a sequence with a probability p by a statistically good PRNG. Suppose
one chooses p=0.1, pseudo-randomly pick a starting point and "decimate"
thus the digit sequence of Pi, is there any conceivable yet practical
way that an anylist could succeed to do prediction in such cases?

Absolutely. Although it does increase the difficulty, it does not change an insecure PRNG to a cryptographically secure PRNG.
Joe

  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Matheology_=A7_413?=
    ... of a potentially infinite 0/1 sequence. ... The list of potentially infinite 0/1 sequences. ... What if line number n does not have an nth element? ... Then d_L is a finite definition. ...
    (sci.math)
  • What about assembly language ?!
    ... Write a NASM program to calculate the nth element in a Fibonacci ... sequence using recursion. ... The program should request an integer n as input from standard input. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Decimation
    ... selecting every nth element from a sequence in order to hide ... A tiny generalization in my humble view would be choosing elements from ... a sequence with a probability p by a statistically good PRNG. ... an insecure PRNG to a cryptographically secure PRNG. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Decimation
    ... Decimation in crypto means selecting every tenth, and in general, selecting every nth element from a sequence in order to hide ... A tiny generalization in my humble view would be choosing elements from ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Problem with Random function
    ... Resetting the random number generator is something you ... A PRNG generates a sequence of numbers which appear random. ... periodicity is how long that sequence is before it repeats. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)