Re: generating a random six digit number

On Dec 7, 2:40 pm, Maaartin <grajc...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 7, 6:58 pm, Khurram <ontrac2h...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey guys I am trying to generate a random six digit number and am

Do you mean true random or just pseudorandom based on a seed?

wondering what options do I have. MD5 and SHa-1 are some just some
ways to do it. but nevertheless, I am curious on other ideas...alas if

For true random you need something else. For pseudorandom you can use
a hash (even broken ones like MD5 or SHA-1 will do), but you need its
input to be kept secret.

the output is a six digit decimal then its not very secure. Any brute
force attack code crack it.

It depends, My banking PIN is only four digits, can you crack it?
Sure, 10,000 possibilities is nothing, but all banks consider it
sufficient.
You can break it, but only with a probability of 0.0003 as you have
only three tries.
This is a case where bruteforcing doesn't make much sense.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

For better advice you should tell us what you need it for.

I am not sure if i need true or psuedo. but i have told you what i
need it for. hope this helps.

  • Re: generating a random six digit number
    ... Do you mean true random or just pseudorandom based on a seed? ... For true random you need something else. ... force attack code crack it. ... It depends, My banking PIN is only four digits, can you crack it? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: generating a random six digit number
    ... Do you mean true random or just pseudorandom based on a seed? ... For true random you need something else. ... force attack code crack it. ... Sure, 10,000 possibilities is nothing, but all banks consider it ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: RNG and TRNG
    ... > I was wondering about the differences between RNG and TRNG. ... An example of a true random number generator: ... An example of a pseudo random number generator: flip a coin 128 ... bits of pseudorandom bits, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: combining LFSRs for long cycle and "quick changes"
    ... >I want to generate a 32-bit pseudo random number in hardware (which is ... >then mixed with a true random number from a noise source), ... If you don't need crypto-quality pseudorandom numbers, ...
    (sci.crypt)