Re: Mnemonics

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:15:23 +0200, Mok-Kong Shen
<mok-kong.shen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Mnemonics could sometimes help memorize or locate longer text
sequences. If a mnemomic is very short, does this imply that the
corresponding text sequence is 'effectively' very short as well
in the sense of information content ("entropy")? As a contrived
example, if I use the digit 3 to remember the sum of the 33333333-th
prime number plus 33, wouldn't the longer number obtained be defacto
'equivalent' to the single digit '3' in that sense?
3 -> 3333rd prime + 333
3 -> 3333333rd prime + 3
3 -> 33 digits of pi following digit 33333333
etc.

IMHO your mnemonic requires extra information in order to be useful.

HTH YMMV

rossum

A related question is whether one could somehow roughly compare
the diverse types of mnemonics in respect of their 'efficiency'.
I am aware that this question is fairly 'imprecise' and the
answer would likely be of corresponding precision but I suppose
even some very very rough ordinal scale of comparision, if available,
could nonetheless be of practial values.

Thanks,

M. K. Shen

.