Re: gpg2 --gen-key

Collin Stocks <collinstocks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was wondering if anybody knows what the time function for generating
a pgp DSA key looks like, i.e. t(BITS) = time it takes to generate a
BITS bit key. Is it exponential? Is it shaped like a parabola? Is it
linear? Is it logarithmic?

I'm guessing it is probably exponential.

It's polynomial. Approximately O(BITS) exponentiations.

What I'm really wondering is approximately how long it would take for
my computer (2.3 gHz) to generate a 65536 bit DSA key. I'm wondering
if it closer to days, weeks, months, years, decades, or...

I expect the most expensive operation will be to find the large prime.
Use a calculator (e.g. Pari/GP) to compute nextprime(2^65536). That is
a reasonable estimate.

--
Kristian Gjøsteen

  • Re: gpg2 --gen-key
    ... I was wondering if anybody knows what the time function for generating ... my computer to generate a 65536 bit DSA key. ... It looked like a properly signed message when it arrived here, though I didn't try verifying the signature. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: gpg2 --gen-key
    (sci.crypt)