Re: Q: password generation

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 08:30:33 +0200, Ertugrul Söylemez <es@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

rossum <rossum48@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I sometimes use a system of regular capitalisation across the phrase,
for example:

tramP kilLs stOat aFter Seven

xxxxX xxxXx xxXxx xXxxx Xxxxx

That makes it easier to remember where the capital letters go, though
it does reduce the entropy somewhat compared to random capitalisation.

After having told us that, the entropy added is zero. ;)
And you believed me? :)

Seriously: Your method adds very little, because there aren't many such
regular patterns.
Agreed. I have sixteen patterns, eight patterns and the equivalent
eight antipatterns, so they add just four bits.

rossum

Greets,
Ertugrul.

  • Re: Q: password generation
    ... tramP kilLs stOat aFter Seven ... That makes it easier to remember where the capital letters go, ... the entropy added is zero. ... I have sixteen patterns, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Q: password generation
    ... rossum wrote: ... tramP kilLs stOat aFter Seven ... That makes it easier to remember where the capital letters go, ... the entropy added is zero. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: law of conservation of information
    ... Law of Conservation of Information - that there seems to be no clear ... A key measure of information is entropy, which is usually expressed by the ... Entropy thus characterizes our uncertainty about our source of information. ... When stock trading you should see the patterns ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: The duality on random compression and an algorithm that works on random sequences
    ... "After establishing this, Shannon introduced the idea ... information (or entropy) is low i.e. ... Hence, on the set of all patterns, f is simply a permutation that maps one pattern to another pattern. ... and their benefits are meet, in the case of Kolmogorov, the smallest "program" to generate a string is created given the fact that after I convert the information into data with redundancy, I compress it the smallest program possible. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: [opensuse] About generating a true random file and avoiding short reads
    ... text patterns inside: ... Entropy per byte seems high enough, so it is random data for most purposes. ...
    (SuSE)