Re: Hardware RNG

"Andy Green" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:19zTl.291881$HA3.51321@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:09:12 -0700, Joseph Ashwood wrote:

"Boon" <root@localhost> wrote in message
By way of LWN, I found the following page, which discusses how to build
what looks like a (true) random number generator.

http://warmcat.com/_wp/whirlygig-rng/

Would anyone care to comment?

I have some concerns.

FWIW I put the 12GByte continuous sample from Whirlygig, which I still
have, through ENT and got this:

I'm going to stop you right there. Predefined tests on the output will only reveal enormous errors, not subtle flaws. This is the first lesson of cryptographically strong RNGs, not knowing this does not say good things about the design.
Joe

  • Re: 400 Hz
    ... The old fashioned mechanical stat fridge in the garage/shop don't care - if it's close, ... The same thing happens in commercial buildings - they spend big bucks putting the building on a generator, then some of the equipment has a "Clean Power Sensor" and doesn't want to run on it. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: (OT) Foreclosures.
    ... random number generator or more commonly, ... telemarketers whether your number is listed or unlisted. ... telemarketers are just goofs who really don't care what he says - they ... Caller ID is such a simple solution...but Telamon just doesn't get it.- Hide quoted text - ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: This is going to be a good day
    ... start the generator at 3:30 ... Care to explain WTF you need to do at 3:30am? ... I'm seldom asleep by ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Controlling a generator the pythonic way
    ... > A related problem is skipping whitespace. ... > have a second generator for filtering the output of the first. ... All one has to care about is that they never get out of sync. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Deep-cycle battery for home back-up?
    ... inside an apartment building!! ... my little 1000 watt generator is sitting right ... outage is the result of a widespread disaster such as a hurricane or ... care of themselves. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)