Re: RSA question

sluijten@xxxxxxxxx writes:

OK math guys, what's the overall conclusion, can I use RSA for this?
In other words: is there a major security issue when I use a private
key to encrypt and a public key for decryption?

The idea is simply absurd. The notion of `encryption' implies some
security requirements. Those requirements cannot be met if you also
want the general public to able to decrypt.

My best guess is that you want a digital signature scheme. If you do,
you should say so. If you don't, you should state the /security
requirements/ of what you want.

RSA is not an encryption scheme. RSA is not a digital signature
scheme. RSA is a trapdoor one-way permutation family. Trapdoor one-way
permutation families can be used to construct encryption schemes and
digital signature schemes.

-- [mdw]

  • Re: PKI confusion...
    ... either decrypting data encrypted with the public key or signing data. ... would suggest that rolling your own licensing system is hard to do and easy ... Now my quandary here is that I want to use asymmetric encryption just to ... can be used for both encryption and decryption, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • security system
    ... to be able to check that the file is complete (i.e. hashes). ... neccessary to make this protocol work, R could receive the encryption ... C1...CN are not trusted and therefore they cannot have the decryption ... Then S could encrypt the file using the public key and generate hashes ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • public/private in rsa
    ... >From reading the sci.crypt RSA faq it appears that the Public key is ... intended for encryption, and the Private key is intended for decryption. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Sharing Encrypted Data
    ... > where D stands for decryption and E stands for encryption. ... You can use RSA directly or any ... You could then give your public key ... decryption functions are identical, differing only by the key they use. ...
    (sci.crypt.research)
  • Re: public/private in rsa
    ... > intended for encryption, and the Private key is intended for decryption. ... Data encrypted with the private key can be decrypted with the public key, ...
    (sci.crypt)