Re: ASCII Requires a Temporary Substitution During Encryption.

Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

As for newsreaders, USENET was here long before Unicode was
invented and will be here long after Unicode is declared
obsolete and replaced with something better. ASCII is the
proper data format for USENET messages.

I totally agree with your sentiment, but I don't share your confidence
in Usenet's longevity. I fear that web forums are taking over and
fragmenting the discussion space. Worse than that, they are often not
archived or searchable in the way that Usenet is. And don't even get me
started on the usability or security issues.

ASCII's not for everyone, especially if your native language doesn't map
easily to the Latin alphabet. I wouldn't object strongly to the use of
UTF-8 in Usenet postings. On the other hand I'd have a small fit of
disgust if people started moving to HTML, as so many already do in
email. All it would take is for Google Groups to offer a nice little
AJAX editor, then Microsoft and Yahoo would have to keep up, and Usenet
as we know it would perish rapidly.

--
James Taylor

  • Re: In support of Keith
    ... Usenet was originally defined by newsreaders and news servers. ... And that spec required all Usenet messages to be ASCII only (and ASCII ... advantage of mail's ability to freely send non-ASCII character sets. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Can somebody else please try and explain to the FUCKING IDIOT "michael adams" what Usenet is? &#
    ... The binary values which make up the binary files ... in binary newsgroups have to be restricted to the binary ... correspond with the ASCII character set. ... characters that are allowed on Usenet correspond to values between 0 ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Okay, I admit it, Im finally p*ssed off at Outlook Express
    ... Google groups. ... have a non-printing character in the message you are trying to send. ... suspect that Uuencoding was involved in the message you got from Usenet - ... The above reference to ASCII requires correction. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Cheap Electronics (was Re: Worldcon news)
    ... But, on Usenet, if you send anything but ASCII, then MIME headers are ... So either you send only ASCII, or you send MIME headers. ... simply a sequence of lines containing ASCII characters. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Inflation
    ... And that clutter has no place on Usenet. ... is in 7-bit ASCII text. ... I know some IBM PCs will display it wrong, as they have their own, ... machine set up to display Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, or Chinese. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)