Re: hash of a string is the same string?

Paul Rubin wrote:

Ertugrul Söylemez <es@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Don't you think that the absence of fixed points or extremely small
cycles indicates a potentially insecure hash function?

I would say that if the presence or absence of fixed points is known,
that could be a sign of insecurity.

Really? If I fired up a program that tests sha1 (or whatever gets chosen
to replace it) with string after string, and by chance I stumble upon a
string that happens to hash to itself, that would suddenly reduce the
security of that hash function?

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

  • Re: type of hash functions
    ... the other hash function. ... but rather reduce the probability that you *need* to as much ... the mere process of storing and comparing hashes not worth the effort. ... pointer to the string) first can help (since many libraries omit this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: type of hash functions
    ... the other hash function. ... as long as the input string. ... exists, then for any string, the pair of keys generated (by the pair ... the original input string, even if this pair of functions does exist, ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Function Points
    ... Byte-counted strings limit the string size to up to 255 characters, ... The buffer size ... How is this any different from a Forth programmer needing to keep track of ... Regardless of how you create your hash function, ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Real hash functions in Java
    ... java distribution is not of such kind) ... A perfect hash function is one that maps each ... sure it is compatible with the equals method) Other classes such as String, ... etc will have meaningful hashCode functions. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Hash Function problem
    ... original string is read. ... The hash function is really done as an initializing step, ... Or else "normal" strlens don't take O, ...
    (comp.programming)