Re: Random Number Help

rossum wrote:
Bryan Olson wrote:
You could spend your career on the randomness problem, but I gather you'd prefer to take what's available and get on with your work. On popular *nix systems you can read quality random bytes from /dev/rand. Microsoft Windows offers crypto-quality randomness from a crypto API call that I can never remember.

The WinAPI call is CryptGenRandom or if using .NET then it is wrapped
in RNGCryptoServiceProvider.GetBytes

Thanks. I figured someone else might do the heavy lifting.

This same question comes up over and over. I intend to do better the next time it arises, but I'm pretty lazy, so chances are I won't.

--
--Bryan

  • Re: Random Number Help
    ... popular *nix systems you can read quality random bytes from /dev/rand. ... Microsoft Windows offers crypto-quality randomness from a crypto API ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Random Number Help
    ... If anyone could give any better reference or recommendation, ... very grateful. ... On popular *nix systems you can read quality random bytes from /dev/rand. ... You could probably have Python within five minutes, then os.urandomwill provide quality random bytes. ...
    (sci.crypt)