Re: Breaking Large Composite Numbers...???

On Dec 13, 8:04�pm, Maaartin <grajc...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IMO, �"conservative=ignorant" �here.

What's the problem here? I use 4096 bit RSA key for my emails. Why?
Why not? It'f costs nothing.

??? Key generation takes about 256 times as long as
1024 bits, decryption and/or signature verification
takes 64 times as long, and message transmission requires 4 times the
bandwidth.... Multi-pass key
agreement protocols (e.g. those require perfect forward
secrecy or explicit key authentication) become much
slower.

I would not call this "costs nothing".

I also ask, "what does it GAIN you"???

You can not argue that it guards against faster
computers because 1024 bits is out-of-reach even
with much faster computers.

You certainly can not argue that it guards against
future algorithms, because a new method that readily
breaks 1024 bits might also break 4096 bits; Trying
to guess how big to make keys to guard against a
future math breakthrough, is futile.

Or maybe a couple of millis I don't
notice at all.

Of course, for a server certificate (or somewhere else where it gets
used frequently) I would thing twice about it.

It would bog down such servers, even with current
computer speeds.

You don't want to change your encryption protocols AFTER you discover that all your messages are being read.

Tell me how much bigger RSA keys will prevent it.....

You'll never discover because nobody tells you. And if you find it
out, you can be sure it's too late

Yep!

  • Re: Wheres APL going?
    ... >There has been a raging debate in engineering circles in Canada regarding ... We are seeing increasing concerns for the costs ... >productivity that a single M$ workstation costs a company for the ... with computers is running garbage from M$. ...
    (comp.lang.apl)
  • Not only Cuba has electric problems
    ... Energy costs are high and it is ... rising electricity costs are extremely worrisome. ... companies with huge power demands have no choice ... The more computers it adds, ...
    (soc.culture.cuba)
  • Re: Numbers 08 Added In iWork 08
    ... of Microsoft Office, last time I looked, costs considerably more than ... And that is for up to 3 computers. ... you can get iWork for $99 for ... MS Office costs over twice as much in most cases... ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: OT - Medical Costs
    ... The bandage is probably itemized on the bill for $200. ... Most customers have no idea how much it costs a business to be in business, and assumes that profits are much higher than they really are. ... One large local clinic simply closed the doors and sold off the equipment because the cost of moving to the mandated electronic medical record system would have bankrupted them ($3.8 million is the claimed figure, which seems impossible to me but I haven't priced out an EMR plus 50 computers plus servers plus IT tech time, etc.). ... This is part of why health care costs as much as it does; rapacious drug pricing is most of the rest of the reason. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: How long to break a 512 bit RSA key?
    ... what would it take to break a 512 bit RSA key? ... > high-end computers? ... (And when I say individuals aren't the threat, ...
    (sci.crypt)