Re: integer sequence randomization

On Oct 29, 8:17 am, "tomas.kejz...@xxxxxxxxx"
<tomas.kejz...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am facing the following problem: I have a database filled with
thousands of records (tickets) distinguished by ther ID. I need to
find a way to generate unique but random integers, preferably based on
IDs of the records and these will work as barcodes (they have to be
"random" so that anyone having one ticket could not guess what is the
other barcode). We've tried generating random numbers and then
checking them against the ones we already have in our database, but
this (obviously) is getting slower and slower as the database is
getting bigger.

I've tried to investigate some possibilities of "randomizing" IDs
according to given rules (1 becomes 3,...), but the resulting sequence
is not "random" enough. Can anyone point me to a possible solution?

Thanks very much, Tom.

I am guessing you have created a field in your data base that
increments each time you get another person entry if not you should.
Never provide that to the people seeing it instead feed that number
into a pseudo random generator and provide that number instead. It is
a fairly common method used for user authentication when people sign
up for an account. You know when they send that email out from a
website says go to this page to validate you signed up for an account
here and the web pages has long random number. Yea that number is
usually the pseudo random number dumped into md5. So technically you
don't even need to store it because you know what user account they
are and they don't you can run the algorithm and work out if they
provided the correct info.

  • Re: using an applet to verify a users credentials
    ... |> Another issue with trying to use an applet for user authentication is that you ... |> are providing, to a greater of lesser degree, account information for all your ... There are no passwords on the site, ... If this is the only thing you need a database table for, ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: Please! Doesnt anyone know a better way to do this?
    ... account, they need to automatically be directed to the page to enter data ... session variable on the Account page. ... I assume here that you're checking a database when the user attempts to ... When a new user attempts to login or clicks to register, ...
  • Re: Best way to parse file into db-type layout?
    ... That's an awful lot of columns to put into a database table, ... The rows are identified by Letter type and an account number (always the ... Off to search for dictionaries and databases now. ... > What you need is a clear appreciation of what you are trying to do ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Help with WSS 3.0 Server Farm Config - Backend SQL 2005
    ... I had to use only "sharepoint" to get the ... What interest me though is that the database get created but fails after ... Virtual Server with DBSVR ... an account local to the WEBSVR) to create and access the SQL server, ...
  • RE: Take This Value and Shove It
    ... because of the way I must acquire the loan account numbers and borrower ... To get that data into the Access database, and keep it updated, I have ... Your subform record source should be tblNotes or a query based on it. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)