cold boot attack question

Would it make the cold boot attack more difficult if each data chunk
was encrypted using two keys, the one currently not in use split into
multiple shadows? The attacker could directly read the key that was
in use when the power went down, but the other one would have to be
reconstructed from the shadows. The number of shadows would be
large enough that the number of bits decaying during a practical
attack would exceede key length. The splitting would have to use an
algorithm providing some bit-mixing (not simple xor).

--
Kusigrosz

to send mail, remove 'erase' from the address

  • Re: cold boot attack question
    ... reconstructed from the shadows. ... I assume by "splitting into shadows" you mean essentially encrypting ... In the variant of the attack where the attacker simply presses the ... motherboard (possibly after cooling to reduce the decay rate). ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: cold boot attack question
    ... reconstructed from the shadows. ... attack would exceede key length. ... I assume by "splitting into shadows" you mean essentially encrypting ... That would probably depend on the hardware, The bit decay curves ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: More thoughts on 4E and "D&D"
    ... Plus magic item critical damage. ... And, if you went for sneak of shadows, also the chance of getting your ... I am sort of leaning towards the theory that sneak attack and hunter's quarry ...
    (rec.games.frp.dnd)
  • are the shadows really trying to improve by natural selection?
    ... the Shadows are trying to raise the ... younger races by promoting conflicts - by putting these races into a ... They attack the Narn, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)