Re: How to shorten output of a hash function?

Kristian Gjøsteen <kristiag+news@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If it doesn't appear to be a PRF it's not a hash, IMHO.

That opinion is wrong. Sorry.

(Ok, I'll explain: VSH is clearly a hash function. Chaum-van
Heijst-Pfitzmann as well. Neither look very much like random
functions.)

I've got to admit that, on princple, I don't like the idea of
anything which has a <<O(2^(n/2)) work factor to find collisions
for an n-bit hash to be worthy of the title 'n-bit hash'.

Very Sub-exponential Hash, I think you'll find...

Phil
--
The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the
point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.

  • Re: Some comments on "super fast hash"
    ... SFH seems reasonably good and certainly is fast. ... > a hash, and SFH does not. ... The latest versions of each hash function which leverages this ... it must behave worse on other key sets. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Some comments on "super fast hash"
    ... I've implemented a hash function here: ... SFH seems reasonably good and certainly is fast. ... quality of the hash function is not affected by the difference as far ... it must behave worse on other key sets. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Maximum String size in Java?
    ... >> compilation on any new target platform that does not already have ... Do you have a version of SFH posted with changes to use this file ... If they intend to use a hash ... benefit of 31/33 will sway me into using more than one hash function. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Suggestions for double-hashing scheme
    ... chain style and reprobe style are basically a wash. ... will be a smaller chance of encountering deleted entries before it. ... Once you sufficiently optimize a hash table, ... by computing of the hash function). ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Maximum String size in Java?
    ... The hash function will *NOT* have the minimal collision ... > for long strings, so on average, SFH bakes it in the performance ...
    (comp.programming)