Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number

On Jun 10, 11:59 am, David Eather <eat...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kristian Gjøsteen wrote:
Kim Schulz  <kimu...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I have a random number generator that e.g. generates 512bit long
keys but I only need 160bits of them. Would the quality of the
randomness then be compromised if I always just uses the first 160bits
of the key?

If the generator samples 512 bit strings from the uniform distribution
(or something that looks like the uniform distribution), then it is
ok. Otherwise, it depends on the exact distribution.

The OP might want to look for BBS stream generatorhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blum_Blum_Shub
Which may be useful for the job

Thanks for the input guys! appreciate it. The BBS seems to be
something I can actually use for another project I have so thanks for
that input too.

  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... Would the quality of the ... randomness then be compromised if I always just uses the first 160bits ... If the generator samples 512 bit strings from the uniform distribution ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... Would the quality of the ... randomness then be compromised if I always just uses the first 160bits ... (or something that looks like the uniform distribution), ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: RSA Keys and Measures of Randomness
    ... I'm not sure it makes much sense to talk about randomness in the ... broke your keys up into different lengths for different runs? ... To answer the question you were probably asking, your RSA keys ... I wouldn't worry too much about what your randomness tests ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • REPOST: Re: help ragarding licensing keys
    ... You do NOT check randomness by looking at the output. ... Note that if it were "random" two keys could be the same. ... Subject: Cancel "Re: help ragarding licensing keys" ... NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.121.22.24 ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... If the generator samples 512 bit strings from the uniform distribution ... your prng gives 512 bits of input and some ranges are more random than ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
    (sci.crypt)