Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number

Kristian Gjøsteen wrote:
Kim Schulz <kimusan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I have a random number generator that e.g. generates 512bit long
keys but I only need 160bits of them. Would the quality of the
randomness then be compromised if I always just uses the first 160bits
of the key?

If the generator samples 512 bit strings from the uniform distribution
(or something that looks like the uniform distribution), then it is
ok. Otherwise, it depends on the exact distribution.

The OP might want to look for BBS stream generator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blum_Blum_Shub
Which may be useful for the job

  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... Would the quality of the ... randomness then be compromised if I always just uses the first 160bits ... If the generator samples 512 bit strings from the uniform distribution ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... If the generator samples 512 bit strings from the uniform distribution ... your prng gives 512 bits of input and some ranges are more random than ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... BBS is too slow. ... Frankly I suggest using any good stream/block cipher ... You can use a part of its o/p as it has a uniform distribution. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: generating keys by using only part of longer random number
    ... keys but I only need 160bits of them. ... randomness then be compromised if I always just uses the first 160bits ... (or something that looks like the uniform distribution), ... The OP might want to look for BBS stream generatorhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blum_Blum_Shub ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Help determining days between events
    ... we put the data itno a real talbe with keys, constriants, data ... integerity, data element names that are not reserved words, etc.? ... IT Quality 2007-04-17 0 ... What are your specs? ...