Re: How long to crack a five, six, and seven digit passphrase in WinZip, WinRar, 7-Zip?

raylopez99 wrote:
I have a FAQ: using today's AES-256 commercial programs like WinZip,
WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc, how long will it take to crack an encrypted file
that uses an alphanumeric (ASCII) passphrase, using a commercial
processor (Pentium multi-core machine)? Assuming N=5...7 digits.

I recall a few years ago a five digit password took less than an hour
to crack, while a six digit passphrase took almost a day, and the
like.

Not on a supercomputer, but if you don't have stats for a normal PC
I'd be curious about a supercomputer as well.

RL

Here's a calculator for estimating brute force time, given the type of
password,
and the number of passwords that can be checked per second:

http://lastbit.com/pswcalc.asp

.

Quantcast