Re: Someone said 256 bits is not enough

toby wrote:

The best place to hide information you don't want discovered is
apparently in the White House email system:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/08/2022244

Lousy. The German Bundeswehr managed to destroy their only backup tapes with data from the entire Iraq invasion^W mission, including proof of assistance in the CIA kidnapping.

That is, after they noticed that a restore failed, they tried the next tape, and another one, and another one... and only after thirty tapes or so they realized that the backup drive might be defective. In this time it managed to delete all the tapes it was supposed to read.

At least that's the official statement. Now it obviously doesn't adhere to the standard procedure of having multiple redundant backups, stopping action and notifying the chief head of IT department when a restore fails, etc. - but I guess no one believed it anyway.

  • Re: BACKUP locks up a directory?
    ... You indicate that the BACKUP performance is an issue. ... I'm happy if I just end up with tapes that I can ... understand new tapes for the older drives can be an issue. ... Still pissed off at me, huh, aren't you Dave? ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • RE: SBS 2003 Standard Restore from tape
    ... I suggest you write protected the tapes before we perform restore. ... Put the tapes back into the drive and receive an message "New Import ... 244923 Deleting Backup Catalog May Erase Backup Set Member Tapes ... 249120 How to Maintain Fully Populated Windows 2000 Backup Catalogs ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SBS tape backup errors, Fails every time
    ... I absolutely love AIT BTW. ... Still through it all those AIT tapes are tough. ... My simple recommendation for you to start learning more about the Backup ... Will enumerate on 0 media types found. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: BACKUP locks up a directory?
    ... I aborted the backup job at this point and re-ran the EOD job. ... NODE2 is running VMS v6.1. ... I'm happy if I just end up with tapes that I can ... I understand new tapes for the older drives can be an issue. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Qs on dump(8) and restore(8)
    ... Dump levels are a flexible way of implementing incremental backups. ... sets of tapes should be found to be substandard. ... People with more money (or backup media) than is good for them can ... minimizes the amount of effort required to restore the system to the ...
    (freebsd-questions)