RE: Book on Pre-MATH for cryptography and cryptanalysis. Reply

<rolof789@xxxxxxxx> writes:
If my knowledge of mathamatics only extends to High school grade,
what areas of Math would I need to know before I could read and
understand works on cryptography by such authors as F. Bauer,
Koblitz ro Applied Cryptography by B Schneier ?

I liked "Concrete Mathematics" by Knuth, Graham, and Patashnik.
That book has gotten a little bit old by now so maybe there are
newer suggestions.

Paul,

James Street's review of this book on Amazon scared the crap out of me.
It looks like this is a book for me to aspire to. If this is what it takes for me to
get my mind around cryptography, then so be it. However, i think i need to cover
some material before embarking on this book.

I am starting to get the picture that discrete math is quite important in cryptography.
But its a big field. do I need all of it?

rol

  • Re: JSH: What if I succeed?
    ... demonstrate my problem solving ability with a practical math problem ... that the RSA cryptosystem is no longer secure, ... using other forms of cryptography. ... even the most basic mathematics? ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Book on Pre-MATH for cryptography and cryptanalysis. Reply
    ... have a much more in depth understanding so I can have more control ... over the security criteria I implement. ... Basic math = Great ... Practical Cryptography, by Bruce Schneier and Niels Ferguson ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Quadratic Field Cryptography
    ... used in cryptography with the class groups generated by quadratic ... That's big talk for I can't play well with others. ... the root of an irreducible quadratic polynomial to the rationals. ... universities to teach bignum math. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • [USENET] Notice: My 2nd crypto book finished :-)
    ... Is this Usenet spam? ... > It's a text covering software developer problems with cryptography, ... > because it's my book but because it covers the math in more depth than ... > Cryptography" as I don't cover ECC in a huge amount of depth. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Notice: My 2nd crypto book finished :-)
    ... It's a text covering software developer problems with cryptography, ... I recommend picking up my 1st book on large integer math, ... Cryptography" as I don't cover ECC in a huge amount of depth. ... going to be public domain like my math text was. ...
    (sci.psychology.psychotherapy)