RE: Book on Pre-MATH for cryptography and cryptanalysis. Reply

IMHO, I'd read "The Code Breakers" by David Kahn before reading Applied
Cryptography by Schneier. The Code Breakers covers classical cryptography,
and Applied Cryptography is more modern cryptography. You will be lost
reading Applied Cryptography without a basic handle on cryptography. Go to
your city or university library and you will probably find Kahn's book.

Mindraker,

Thanks for the input. Would that be a David Kahn? If so which book, as he has
a few published?
My aim is to understand the math I need to read such books as
"Decrypted Secrets - Methods, Maxims of Cryptology" But I only have a high school
level of Math at the moment, otherwise, I have a good grounding in security.

I cant find any cryptography books which give you a ground up tutorial on the math
needed. On the other hand, I dont really want to be doing a whole Degree on cryptography
in order to learn the math.

A bit like medical students do PRE-med; I need some kind of PRE- crypto math course
right now to get me started.

Thanks rol

  • RE: Book on Pre-MATH for cryptography and cryptanalysis. Reply
    ... level of Math at the moment, otherwise, I have a good grounding in security. ... I cant find any cryptography books which give you a ground up tutorial on the math ... Bid us and our posterity bow the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: JSH: What if I succeed?
    ... demonstrate my problem solving ability with a practical math problem ... that the RSA cryptosystem is no longer secure, ... using other forms of cryptography. ... even the most basic mathematics? ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Book on Pre-MATH for cryptography and cryptanalysis. Reply
    ... have a much more in depth understanding so I can have more control ... over the security criteria I implement. ... Basic math = Great ... Practical Cryptography, by Bruce Schneier and Niels Ferguson ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Quadratic Field Cryptography
    ... used in cryptography with the class groups generated by quadratic ... That's big talk for I can't play well with others. ... the root of an irreducible quadratic polynomial to the rationals. ... universities to teach bignum math. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • [USENET] Notice: My 2nd crypto book finished :-)
    ... Is this Usenet spam? ... > It's a text covering software developer problems with cryptography, ... > because it's my book but because it covers the math in more depth than ... > Cryptography" as I don't cover ECC in a huge amount of depth. ...
    (sci.crypt)