Re: Outlook Express Digital ID.

On Feb 21, 2:32 am, "Skybuck Flying" <s...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Outlook Express can encrypt/decrypt and sign messages.

However a Digital ID is needed...

Can I create such a Digital ID myself ?

What is this Digital ID ? I suspect it contains the private key ?

Do the makers of outlook express expect me to be a retard and ask a third
party for the private key ?

LOL.

I don't think SO !

A digital ID is a certificate, not your private or public key.
Actually it's a pointer to your public half of your signing key which
is distributed by the certificate authority (and you do get the
private half from them as well). By signing your document with the
cert, someone can ask for your public key from the CA (since the cert
refers back to the issuing CA), and verify that you're the one who
signed the email. This works because the CA knows *you*, and the
recipient of your document knows (and trusts) the CA to identify you
(within some limits - your basic email cert says little more than the
guy who registered abc@xxxxxxx with the CA is the one who sent this
email).

This is basically the same thing that happens when you go to www.mybank.com
and your browser verifies the sites cert when starting the SSL
session.

"Find services that issue or use digital IDs"

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EY010504841033.aspx

Alternatively you could set up your own certificate authority, and
issue yourself a key, but since no one will actually trust your CA, it
won't help you very much unless you can convince people to add your CA
to their list of trusted ones. Private CAs usually exist only within
organizations for internal authentication.

DUH.

Who's the real retard I wonder ?

ME ?

OR THEM ?

That's long settled.

  • Re: Backup "pending request"?
    ... Now - when you get the cert from CA. ... it DOES contains both private and public key. ... >> and assign in IIS MMC. ...
  • Re: Backup "pending request"?
    ... Now - when you get the cert from CA. ... it DOES contains both private and public key. ... >> and assign in IIS MMC. ...
  • Re: How to Export Digital Signature from e-mail
    ... I can get it on my other computer using outlook ... attempt to connect to the CA (certificate authority) to check if the cert is ... Outlook WILL receive the digitally signed e-mail. ... You save the sender's public key half of their e-mail cert by saving them as ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: When to use Public/Private Key & when to gen new one?
    ... The key pair is uniquely bound to each other: you can't have one private key ... options for extracting the public key, but not one for 'build new public key ... I was including in assemblies whatever it had spat one ... probably keep the same snk file across various builds of an assembly, ...
  • send word as attachment in mail merge with text in body
    ... How to send mailmerge letters as attachment with private sensitivi ... I had set Outlook 2003 to send all emails from my account as "Private". ... possible to send a mailmerged document as attachment and have it sent out as ... Dim oa As Outlook.Application ...
    (microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields)