Re: Blockcipher >256 bit (for hardware implementation)

Do you have a suggestion for me? What other blockcipher could I
consider?

Out of interest, why do you need a 340-bit block?

I would use AES if it is at all possible with the conventional 128-bit
block and 128-bit key.

The problem here is that you're probably going to pay either a security
penalty or speed penalty for demanding such a big block.

Nobody designs fast, secure block ciphers of this size. This is not
because its impossible to do it's just that kind of design isn't
needed.

It's likely that you can use some composite structure to get this block
size but that is likely to be slower than using a more standard
construction. It's probably too slow to be of use to you.

It might be tempting to design you own primitive. Don't do it! Use
something standard and you won't go wrong.

Simon

  • Re: Initializing GFSR Generators.
    ... >> I must admit I don't understand why you're using homebrew crypto. ... What's wrong with AES and other ... the fact that they are standard and thoroughly known. ... I hope nobody is relying on your design for their own security. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Target market for Intellasys.
    ... I would like to see a full speed general purpose embedded serial interconnect IO bus standard. ... Looking through serial memory I found something like a maximum of 70mhz speed which is pretty useless if it was the only bus in a cutting edge design. ... All other control mode levels also have this ability, to allow developer to instigate their own versions of the features not defined in that level, as they wish, if they wish. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: New Encryption Idea
    ... performing the 5 reads necessary in the example algorithm results in a delay ... Panama at 400MB/sec, or RC4 at about 90MB/sec, or AES in CTR mode at ... and the speed failings of your design become very clear. ... > Manansala Encryption and Authentication System ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: gets(); was: Re: Why does rewind() ignore errors?
    ... useful as any other input function standard C delivers. ... Ever programmed a big system havin about 300 little applications as ... There can be a simple stream whoes source is somewhere on the world ... Programming starts with design. ...
    (comp.std.c)
  • Re: Interface standards (was Re: Dual Port RAM)
    ... I find there lack of a standard on the 'internal' side to be ... principle of abstraction; instead of hiding complex functions behind ... simple interfaces, ... write the code for because it is just a sub-function of the overall design. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)