Re: Encryption key longer than text to encrypt

David Eather wrote:
Jean-François Michaud wrote:
Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
Jean-François Michaud wrote:

3- The transformation of digits varies during the encryption

My cipher only solidly met the first criterion. Context is lacking for
the second and third criteria.
If the third criteria wouldn't be trivially met, your scheme would be
trivially insecure.

It doesn't seem like you're trying to understand what I'm saying much
at all. I said that context was lacking, not that the criteria 2 and 3
weren't being met. They are of course also respected but the way the
definition is given, it raises questions which means the context is not
entirely clear, at the very least, to me.

Alright so I'm talking about a synchronous stream cipher, but the
original question still remains unanswered.
At first, you can strip the step about adding bogus data.

Why?

What remains is
the plain stream cipher. Depending on keylength and the complexity of the
operation, as well as on not exposing the internal scheme, it could be
secure.

I seriously doubt it's that simple. By internal scheme, do you mean the
encryption algorithm? The algorithm would most probably be known. For
real security, if possible, exposing the algorithm means that security
doesn't rely on it remaining a secret. This seems, overall, like a
better idea.

You just need a lot of big rotors.

512 rotors with 256 cogs each. But I feel that you're somehow missing
the essense of my question.

Regards
Jean-Francois Michaud

Perhaps you could use more of the standard cryptographic terminology.
It is somewhat self centered to learn your terminology just for you to
help you?

Alright, so maybe you can tell me how it's possible to know the
terminology before knowing it. I don't know how you learn but you're
certainly more brilliant than the rest of us if you can know things
before being in contact with them. It is preposterous to hope for
someone to study intensively before posting anything to discussion
forums. It is also equally absurd to assume that others know the same
things that you know or to assume that they SHOULD know them. This is a
place for exchange, so let's exchange. Quit bashing posters with
questions.

Jean-Francois Michaud

  • Re: Encryption key longer than text to encrypt
    ... My cipher only solidly met the first criterion. ... If the third criteria wouldn't be trivially met, ... I said that context was lacking, not that the criteria 2 and 3 ... Jean-Francois Michaud ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Encryption key longer than text to encrypt
    ... My cipher only solidly met the first criterion. ... If the third criteria wouldn't be trivially met, ... I said that context was lacking, not that the criteria 2 and 3 ... The algorithm would most probably be known. ...
    (sci.crypt)