Re: what is probability to create two equal hashes for md5 algorithm

"Mike Amling" <spamonly@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Those are pretty high probabilities. I presume you intended to type
2^-64 and 2^-80, but the in the scenario you describe, the probability of
a pair of random inputs producing the same output, the probabilities are
2^-128 and 2^-160.
You can expect approximately one collision among 2^64 (resp. 2^80)
different inputs, because that many messages generates 2^128 (resp. 2^160)
pairs.

I'll disagree. What we have here is a large pool of outputs, this is the
birthday paradox case, this is where I got my numbers. I'll admit I gave
pessimistic numbers, but if 2^-80 is a pessimistically high probability it's
a good day.

(that is, if those hash functions
indeed exhibit the right properties --- at the very least, it makes
sense to make that assumption to simplify the reasoning)

It is expected that for the uniform distribution requirement for this, so
far I'm not aware of any research indicating that any of the MD5/SHA series
has any significantly low probability paths, and I certainly haven't found
any. With as much as these have been examined I would expect that such
differentials would be high priority.
Joe

  • Quantum Gravity 114.1: The Gravitation Relationship To the Lotka-Volterra-Super-BM Scena
    ... So how does gravitation enter this picture, ... electromagnetism and the Schrodinger one-point potential scenario? ... scenario with magnetic dipoles replacing electric charges) compared to ... domain (precisely a probability domain!) can be regarded ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Probability of the origin of life
    ... should have been the probability that life actually originated in the ... life had to originate necessarily in the primordial earth? ... How does belief in either scenario cause both scenarios to become ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Probabilities in genealogy
    ... with that same surname. ... comfortable trying to assign a probability to it. ... between these interpretations, although the second is supportive of the ... knowledge raises the probability of that scenario above others. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: Deal or no Deal
    ... That's the scenario in the final round. ... I see what you are saying but there are still 5 boxes in play even if you ... Honestly, believe me, this is simple probability. ... One by one you pick out 99 blue balls. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Possible for users to open file at the same time?
    ... In response to your other post, I provided a method to get beyond a second. ... The probability that any two people would get the same number would be ... > Scenario: I have an Excel file uploaded into an Outlook folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)