Re: Question on definition of semantic security: why "probability ensemble"?

Sergei <silentser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kristian Gjøsteen wrote:
Sergei <silentser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pr[A(E_k(X_n))=1] < Pr[A'(lengthof(X_n))=1] + 1/poly(n)

I'm afraid you've messed up this definition.

Hmm... where? Of course, I didn't include all the argumetns of the
algorithms A and A', but I don't see what is so wrong here?

Try an A' that always outputs 1.

(The probability ensemble represents the adversary's a priori
knowledge about the plaintext.)

Not really.

You're right, actually. I'm mixing different definitions. Sorry.

I think the latter version best captures the cryptographic thinking,
but I guess they would be equivalent. You should prove that, of course.

It also seems so to me. But on the other hand, why making the defintion
more complex?

Is it really more complex? Anyway, there can be many reasons for choosing
a more complex definition over a simpler definition.

(When I've used semantic security, I've used different, but equivalent,
definitions because those definitions make later proofs easier.)

--
Kristian Gjøsteen

  • Re: Question on definition of semantic security: why "probability ensemble"?
    ... Hmm... ... I didn't include all the argumetns of the ... algorithms A and A', but I don't see what is so wrong here? ... about the plaintext, algorithms A and A' get an additional argument ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Get Database Path Accessed
    ... Hmm... ... Sandy, ... I'm afraid for all I know there's no way to tell what you're asking - ... >>via a shortcut if that is the case. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: division by 7 without using division operator
    ... Hmm? ... If I'm hiring, I want someone who knows the language. ... those that have suitable knowledge of algorithms and data structures ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: AddressLayout
    ... Hmm. ... I'm afraid I don't know, as I've never used this (I don't use the ... Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org ... > Many thanks for your very speedy reply. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Re: Old problem - X11 fonts
    ... > Winston Smith wrote: ... >> afraid it is a RTFM!). ... If you check out the following instructions in the ... > Hmm, I know about this article, but I guess I haven't followed it to the ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)